Sunday, June 20, 2010

One Bite at a Time

















When I was in school, a teacher said something that stuck with me. She said that when we sit down with a plate of food, we don't feel overwhelmed with thoughts like, "How am I going to fit all this food in my mouth?" After all, we don't put all that food in our mouth at once. We take it one bite at a time.

My month of attempting to uni-task is well underway, with mixed results. I have learned that I like flitting from one thing to the next. I play a game, for instance, where I straighten up three things from one room and then go to the next and the next and so on...making housework more of a sporting event than a chore. It makes it fun for me. Is that multi-tasking? It seems more like rapid succession bite sized uni-tasking. But one could make a good argument either way.

This month, I have spent quite a bit of time sorting, sifting and getting rid of stuff I don't need. But I am doing it in the same manner that I eat spaghetti. I separate a little bit from the mound so that I can twirl it neatly on my fork. Overwhelming when you look at it as a whole, more manageable when you do only one little bit at a time.

Wishing you balance,

Nancy

4 comments:

  1. I think I just need to pick up the pace of doing one little thing at a time before the mound of spaghetti overtakes my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Cat Lady. I am trying to just look at trees, not the whole forest. The forest is too overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy!
    (it's jessie)
    I thought of you and your unitasking when I saw this. Hope all is well,
    paz y luz
    http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/314134/june-30-2010/nicholas-carr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie!!!! I don't check my comments very often! So nice to hear from you!!

    ReplyDelete

Be a part of the conversation!